Reporting to the General Manager, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for all human resources functions in the company including, but not limited to: payroll, benefits (health, commuter, 401k), worker’s compensation, time/timeoff, performance management, compliance, unemployment, and compensation. This position works as part of a talented executive management team and is an integral part of our business.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Lead the human resources and recruiting function on behalf of a wonderful, family owned grocery store.
- Work closely with general managers and directors to advise, strategize, and execute human resources projects and initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements, employment laws and the Affordable Care Act including all local, state and federal requirements.
- Manage and maintain a secure and efficient employee file system for confidentiality, compliance, accuracy and ease of retrieval.
- Manage human resource team and delegate tasks accordingly.
Hiring and Onboarding
- Oversee recruitment and the development of all job descriptions.
- Manage and develop staff selection by refining the recruiting, testing, and interviewing program; coach managers on candidate selection.
- Manage and refine onboarding processes including orientations, trainings, and online forms.
- Conduct and refine our employee orientation and training programs.
- Develop and oversee employee performance management including: train managers to coach and deliver feedback to employees, schedule management conferences with employees; hear and resolve employee grievances; and counsel employees and supervisors.
- Revise, update and administer personnel policies, procedures and practices. Continue to update and develop handbook and related legal documentation.
- Manage employee concerns, conflict resolution, and conduct investigations as needed.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate on personnel matters.
- Manage employee benefit programs and inform employees of benefits by: study and assessment of benefit needs and trends, recommend benefit programs to General Managers, obtain and evaluate benefit quotes, and design and conduct educational programs on benefit programs to all staff.
- Administer benefit programs: health, dental, vision, 401k, cobra, time off, and commuter.
- Liaison with benefit providers/brokers and management of related costs and policy renewals.
- Responsible for worker’s compensation, disability, unemployment and family support claims.
- Responsible for bi-weekly payroll with the goal of running an error free payroll.
- Coordinate with management the preparation and administration of compensation strategy.
- Ensure that managers schedule and hire within their budget goals, advise them on any overtime or special circumstances, and keep general managers informed via reporting and periodic audits.
- Prioritize assisting employees and supervisors with payroll questions and issues.
- 4+ years of work experience in Human Resources, preferably in retail, but not required; Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university in HR or SPHR certification preferred or a combination of education and equivalent work experience.
- Team player with a collaborative management style.
- Must be able to work comfortably and effectively with a diverse group of staff members and the general public, both on the phone and in person.
- Experience in design, development and implementation of compensation plans and benefit programs.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment, wage and salary laws and regulations.
- Self directed, highly motivated with a strong sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a wide range of projects and responsibilities simultaneously, effectively prioritizing, taking ownership and initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact and diplomacy.
- Strong spreadsheet skills, with a strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to work with financial and personnel information in strict confidence.
- 3+ years payroll processing using web-based systems, experience with UltiPro Payroll/HRIS software a plus.
- Hands-on work style, and able to work under pressure and respect schedules/deadline.
- Excellent public speaking, verbal and written communication skills
- Candidates must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends if necessary.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability. We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.