Cafe Assistant Supervisor
About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Assist the Cafe Manager with all cafe department operations while managing your team.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- When the manager is not available, supervises an organized work environment where workflow is efficient, while maintaining the highest standards of food and beverage quality.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through great leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Provides direction and guidance around all company systems, policies and procedures for the team.
- Helps create a team environment that harnesses and develops the staff’s strengths and abilities.
- Train employees on all aspects of cafe operations including safe operation and use of equipment such as knives, ovens, espresso machine, as well as other equipment.
- Prioritizes duties and delegates tasks.
- Keep a clean and sanitary work area at all times.
- Keeps equipment clean and sanitary.
- Gives guests priority and attention at all times.
- Manages the storage, stocking, rotation and maintenance of all product.
- Helps to order, receive, and manage inventory at a reasonable level for optimal Cafe department operation.
- Minimum 2 years in the cafe business.
- Minimum 1 year supervisory experience preferred.
- Current, valid, food handler card required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Personable, outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with diverse guests.
- Passionate about working with coffee and exceptional product delivery.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while maintaining great customer service.
- Committed to providing an enjoyable and delicious experience, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with guests and staff.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.