Reporting to the Cheese Department Manager, the Cheese Clerk provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. If you do not have cheese experience, you must bring a willingness and interest in learning. Focus and attention to detail are key. The cheese team works hard, stays on task, learns and has fun doing it.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Ensure cleanliness of cheese case, storage and work area. Keep a clean and sanitary work station at all times and all equipment clean and sanitized.
- Stock cheese case properly making sure the products are presented well, the case is faced and filled at all times.
- Take instruction, direction, and follow procedures provided by our cheese manager.
- Safely operate and use equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Examine the cheese case daily for products that are spoiled and/or damaged. Maintain orderly rotation of stock.
- Ensure tag and pricing accuracy.
- Keep accurate spoilage, transfer and demolition logs.
- Provide active and passive demonstrations.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- A passion for cheeses, craft beers and wines and a strong interest in learning.
- Previous deli, food service, or grocery experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate with customers who speak only English.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card is a plus.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must, no exceptions.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.