Reporting to the General Managers, the Director of Food Service provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. Our kitchens create all the food that we serve in our prepared foods departments. Our delis create sandwiches and serve prepared foods daily to our hungry customers. In our cafes they sell and do light prep work on food items and maintain a modest food service menu. The director develops and maintains systems to provide efficient, consistent quality products across all our food service departments in all our locations. Working closely with our kitchen, deli and cafe managers, the Director of Food Service is the leader for our prepared foods teams.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in person and over the phone. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Manage complete kitchen, deli, bakery and catering operations including, inventory, ordering, costing, menu creation, implementation of new menu items and training for all our locations.
- Manage Kitchen, Deli and Cafe menu/food offerings. Keep an accurate recipe book, updating all food service staff about ingredient changes.
- Responsible for proper menu rotation and maintaining profit and margin standards from the food service departments.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage.
- Responsible for the sanitation of the kitchen and deli, and proper food handling, rotation, labelling, etc. Define and ensure acceptable cleaning and maintenance standards to meet all food safety and health regulations, working with other directors as necessary.
- Work with managers to create eye-catching displays that maintain their look and feel across all locations. Ensure that the deli cases and all food bars are maintained throughout the day to maximize sales and minimize spoilage.
- Manage all processes of the kitchen, catering, and deli areas, implementing process improvements as needed. This includes, and is not limited to: prep lists, production guides, catering fulfillment processes, etc.
- Assist cafe managers with food related procedures and processes.
- Create an employee driven “idea” program to incentivize the team to share in the growth and improvement of the stores.
- Check all vendor pricing and communicate with the organization leadership regarding discrepancies.
- Create and maintain communication with the chef, deli, cafe and store managers regarding store operations.
- Develop and oversee the training programs for all food service areas ensuring that training meets all food service standards.
- Work closely with directors and managers at all locations to continue to improve optimization towards the goal of market leadership by reducing shrink in all areas.
- Create and oversee safety training and procedures for all equipment including, but not limited to, knives, wrappers, scales, etc.
- Creation and implementation of a uniformed signage program for all stores to support profitability and uniform messaging.
- Analyze movement reports to ensure all food service items are performing.
- Monitor market trends to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Manage inter-department seasonal planning to ensure we are ready to capture all available sales.
- Create and manage new item meetings on a bi-weekly basis to share what each manager is working on and plan the successful launch.
- Educate managers on assessment and profitability where needed in regards to product offerings. This would include when to move on discounts and improving customer interactions.
- Oversight of opportunistic buying and merchandising for all stores.
- 8-10 years experience in a restaurant or similar environment, with five years of supervisory experience during that time.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation and presentation.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation, presentation and quality.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card is recommended.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a large team.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with colleagues and customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.