Front End Manager
About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Working closely with management, the Front End Manager is responsible for store operations while providing exceptional service and products for our guests.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Gives guests priority and attention at all times.
- Manages an organized work environment where attention to detail is important, workflow is efficient, while maintaining the highest customer service.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through excellent leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Works with all departments to ensure preparation for peak service hours so that product is stocked, presentable and highest level of quality for guests.
- Overall awareness of presentation and merchandising, deploying staff to address any issues in an expedient manner without compromising customer service.
- Provides direction and guidance around all company systems, policies and procedures for their team.
- Helps to create a team environment that harnesses and develops the staff’s strengths and abilities including hiring, mentoring, training and motivating staff.
- With input from the store manager, creates weekly schedules adhering to all break and lunch regulations.
- Help develop and train employees on all aspects of front end operations including customer service, sales, code knowledge, and cash handling.
- Prioritizes duties and delegates tasks for front end team.
- Assist with feedback and coaching for all front end staff.
- Count cash drawers efficiently and correctly for shift changes and at close.
- Develop product knowledge level of store team at all times.
- Work with management to develop goals for the store and the team and implement strategies to attain those goals.
- Monitor and manage all front of store traffic, flow, and general operations.
- Ensures equipment and workspace, both front and back of house, stay clean and sanitary.
- Prioritizes duties and delegates tasks.
- 2-5 years management experience in a retail or grocery environment required.
- Demonstrated exceptional cash-handling skills, in a high-traffic retail location.
- Presentable in attire and hygiene, you represent the business.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Personable, outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with diverse guests.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while maintaining great customer service.
- Committed to providing an enjoyable shopping experience, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with guests and staff.
- Open schedule is required, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.