Reporting to the Grocery Director, the Grocery Coordinator curates products for all our stores in the following areas: grocery (dry and refrigerated), bulk, dairy, frozen foods, HABA (health and beauty aid), and bakery for satisfied customers and vendors.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in person and over the phone. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Ensure that retail areas are full, clean, attractively merchandised and efficiently operated.
- Ensure our receiving standards are met per location, know each buyer’s system for checking in orders.
- Establish, implement and review ordering and stocking procedures.
- Coverage of department for absences or open positions.
- Help train managers, associate buyers and assistants as required.
- Responsible for all merchandising company-wide, ensuring that displays (end caps, floor displays, and spot displays) are effective so that customers and vendors have a satisfying in-store experience. Creating seasonal displays as needed.
- Place all seasonal orders in a timely way to ensure on time delivery in our stores well in advance.
- Assist in negotiations while meeting with suppliers/brokers for favorable prices and terms, quality and delivery. Taking detail notes during the meetings and providing recaps to the Grocery Director.
- Design and implement department shelf sets, cross-merchandising as beneficial, in conjunction with other managers and the Grocery Director.
- Assist with developing and coordinating the placement of items for all advertising, one and eight page ads placed weekly, biweekly and monthly. Responsible for ensuring that prices are competitive throughout and that items are properly tagged and displayed.
- Trains new vendors on our receiving policies and who their contacts are at each of our locations.
- Maintain consistency among all our locations. Works with the pricing department to ensure that products are priced correctly in all stores and that sales roll out smoothly for all locations.
- Supervise to minimize and track out-of-stocks, markdowns, and shrink. Use this data to analyze where loss is occurring; develop and implement solutions to prevent recurring losses.
- Responsible for the introduction of all new items into our stores:
- Manage all new items that are scheduled to come in. Maintain and update new item list to ensure product is received and merchandised accordingly.
- Ensure proper shelf placement for all new products.
- Work with store managers to organize new product demonstrations and tastings.
- Category Management
- Audit sets for product movement looking at shelf placement, pricing and to fill gaps in the set. Refer to vendor top seller lists to fill any open spots and to ensure we have top selling items in each category.
- Manage the discontinuing of product process from analyzing to ultimately removing items from the stores.
- Work with grocery managers to reset categories to optimize sales in each location.
- Deliver vendor sales sheets to pricing department to help with accuracy and processing of sale items.
- Assist and communicate best merchandising practices with in-store grocery management teams.
- Four to six years grocery experience in a natural foods industry helpful, but not required.
- One to two years management experience with a diverse team.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Must be able to travel between locations in their own vehicle. A clean driving record is a must with mileage reimbursed between stores.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage stressful situations.
- Strong, proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining excellent customer service and accuracy.
- Working knowledge of basic math, weights and measures.
- A good understanding of proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and shelf life of products.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of the team.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Experience with Microsoft applications, SMS LOC Software database experience a plus.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, occasional early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.