Reporting to the Store Manager provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. Our kitchen creates all the food that we serve in our prepared foods department. The manager develops and maintains systems to provide efficient, consistent quality product. Working closely with our prepared foods department manager, the Kitchen Manager is a leader for our prepared foods teams.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in person and over the phone. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Manage complete kitchen operations including, inventory, ordering, costing, menu creation, training, and employee onboarding.
- Keep an accurate recipe book, updating the kitchen and deli staff about ingredient changes.
- Help with menu development, recipe building and execution. Stay on top of food trends. Utilize and manipulate food culls from the store and being creative in their implementation.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage and demolition.
- Responsible for the sanitation of the kitchen and proper food handling, rotation, labelling, etc.
- Ensures that the deli case and all food bars are stocked throughout the day to maximize sales and minimize spoilage.
- Organize and manage all production throughout the day. Create a production guide for the days that you are not there.
- Check all vendor pricing and communicate with the store manager regarding discrepancies.
- Ensure all catering orders are on time and the customer is satisfied and returns to us for all their catering needs.
- Create and maintain communication with the chef, deli, and store managers regarding store operations.
- Manage, schedule, mentor and train staff.
- Control food costs and labor.
- Work closely with the produce, meat, grocery, and deli to reduce shrink.
- Train employees to safely operate and use equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Ensure that the refrigerator and other storage areas are examined daily for food that is spoiled and/or damaged. Maintain orderly rotation of items and produce timely and accurate production and spoilage logs.
- Ensures refrigerated storage and POS temperatures are to health code standards and coordinates service if needed.
- 5-7 years experience in a restaurant or similar environment, with three years of supervisory experience during that time.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation and presentation.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation, presentation and quality.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card is recommended.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a large team.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with colleagues and customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability.