About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 30 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, a 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Produce Manager, the Produce Assistant Manager is responsible for produce operations, staff onboarding and training while providing exceptional service and products for our guests. This includes and is not limited to supervising the trimming, watering, and merchandising of items to ensure fresh and high-quality products. Managing inventory control to maximize product freshness and availability.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Respond positively to customer inquiries and assist customers with questions, information and product selection.
- Manages an organized work environment where workflow is efficient while maintaining the highest customer service.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through excellent leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage and demolition.
- Supervises daily operations to ensure cleanliness and safety of produce department, storage, and work areas.
- Manages the rotation of all produce products paying particular attention to expired stock and properly discarding outdated or spoiled items pursuant to Gus’s Community Market’s standards.
- Manage the proper reception products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Train employees on the safe operation and use equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Stock, clean, and maintain proper temperatures for all wet racks.
- Ensure that the work areas are clean and sanitized (including tables, floor, scales, cases, cooler, etc.).
- Assists with inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
- Sustain and train employees on a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walk department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Working with the manager, ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Keep accurate spoilage, transfer and demolition logs.
- Strong, proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining excellent customer service and accuracy.
- One year supervisory experience required.
- Previous Produce experience in the natural foods industry required.
- Working knowledge of basic math, weights, and measures.
- Ability to gain an understanding of proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and shelf life of products.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of the team.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability. We look forward to hearing from you!
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.