Reporting to the Produce Manager, the Produce Clerk stocks and rotates merchandise in the Produce Department. This includes and is not limited to, trimming, watering, and merchandising of items to ensure fresh and high quality products. Inventory control to maximize product freshness and availability. Answer questions from customers about produce and increase sales by handing out food samples and recommend additional items to customers.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Respond positively to customer inquiries and assist customers with questions, information and product selection.
- Ensure cleanliness of produce department, storage and work areas. Keep clean shelves and products, floors free of spills or water, remove hazardous debris from floors and sweep.
- Examine the rotation of all produce products paying particular attention to expired stock and properly discarding outdated or spoiled items pursuant to Sprouts standards.
- Receive, inspect, and log products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Safely operate and use equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Stock, clean, and maintain proper temperatures for all wet racks.
- Cleans and sanitize work area (including tables, floor, scales, cases, cooler, etc.).
- Participate in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assure tags match products.
- Sustain a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walk department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Take instruction, direction, and follow procedures provided by our produce manager.
- Ensure tag and pricing accuracy.
- Keep accurate spoilage, transfer and demolition logs.
- Strong, proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining excellent customer service and accuracy.
- Previous Produce experience in a natural foods industry helpful, but not required.
- Working knowledge of basic math, weights, and measures.
- Ability to gain an understanding of proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and shelf life of products.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of the team.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.