Reporting to the Store Manager, the Produce Manager provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. Our produce department provides the freshest quality produce at exceptional prices for our customers.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provides exceptional guest experience, especially during peak service times through great leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Manage complete produce operations including inventory, ordering, costing, product offerings, rotation/product maintenance, training, and employee onboarding.
- Create eye-catching displays daily with proper signage that maximize sales and minimize spoilage.
- Works with all departments to ensure preparation for peak service hours so that product is stocked, presentable and at the highest level of quality for guests.
- Overall awareness of presentation and merchandising, deploying staff to address any issues in an expedient manner without compromising customer service.
- Responsible for the sanitation and overall cleanliness of the produce operation and proper food handling, rotation, labelling, etc.
- Maintain all product logs in accordance with company, state and federal policies and requirements.
- Ensure all holiday, seasonal, and special orders are on time and the customer is satisfied and returns to us for all their holiday and special order produce needs.
- Manage monthly inventories for the department and send to supervisor for processing.
- Investigate product complaints and make product withdrawal recommendations to the appropriate parties.
- Responsible for the management of the department’s budget including payroll administration, timekeeping and sales.
- Helps create a team environment that harnesses and develops the staff’s strengths and abilities.
- Provides direction and guidance around all company systems, policies and procedures for the team. Prioritize duties and delegates tasks.
- Train employees on all aspects of produce operations including safe operation and use of equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Provides weekly schedules adhering to all break and lunch regulations.
- Minimum 4 years as a produce buyer.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience.
- In-depth knowledge of all produce is required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Personable, outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with diverse guests.
- Passionate about produce work and exceptional product delivery.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while maintaining great customer service.
- Committed to providing an enjoyable shopping experience, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with guests and staff.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.