About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Grocery Department Manager, the Lead Receiver is responsible for inspection, reception, and delivery of all products while providing exceptional service and quality products for our customers.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Sets the example for teammates by working with diligence to complete the task at hand.
- Prioritizes duties and communicates with department management to delegate tasks.
- Responsible for processing all product deliveries while closely following all receiving procedures in a timely manner and with full attention to detail.
- Verify each delivery and note variances on invoices.
- Maintain excellent vendor relationships and be constantly growing a knowledge base of all department vendors.
- Break down, organize, and distribute all received product.
- Ensure all refrigerated items are stocked and properly stored.
- Manage and properly document all credits, returns, mispicks, waste, and spoilage. Follow through with correcting all discrepancies
- Keep receiving areas neat, clean, organized and secure.
- Maintain merchandise return, transfer, backstock, and cooler areas.
- Communicate frequently with co-workers regarding receiving operations.
- Greet customers as you work, help them find products and get their baskets to the front of the store.
- Make sure the store is properly faced, merchandised and that the products are displayed well.
- Ensure cleanliness of store and storage areas.
- Take instruction, direction, and follow the procedures provided by your manager.
- Safely operate and use the equipment.
- Examine the shelves daily for products that are spoiled and/or damaged. Maintain orderly rotation of stock.
- Keep accurate spoilage and transfer logs
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Requires early morning availability any day of the week.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.