About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Head Chef, the Sous Chef provides exceptional service and quality products. Assist the Chef with day-to-day operations and management of the kitchen.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Manage complete kitchen operations when chef is not present.
- Execute and supervise opening procedures for the kitchen and the deli cold case.
- Ensure kitchen is cleaned and closed by delegating closing tasks to team.
- Work with the chef to order product and supplies, costing, labor, and margin control.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage and demolition.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory of produce, freezer, and dry storage products.
- Develop and maintain relationships with purveyors.
- Assist chef with managing, mentoring, and training of staff. This includes investing time and attention into the professional growth of the staff.
- Create and maintain communication with the chef, deli, and store managers regarding store operations.
- Work with other department managers to utilize product with an expiring shelf life to help minimize waste safely.
- Responsible for ensuring that the storage and work areas are clean and sanitary.
- Train employees to safely operate and use equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Examine the refrigerator and other storage areas daily for food that is spoiled.
- 3-5 years experience in a restaurant or similar environment, with 1-2 years of supervisory experience during that time.
- Proven ability to work safely in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food and basic cooking techniques.
- Organizational skills.
- Communication skills.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation, presentation and quality.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Understand spoken Spanish a plus.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in working with team members.
- Must be comfortable using word, excel, chef tech and the google suite or products.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card is required.
- Open schedule is required , evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.