Reporting to the Head Chef, the Sous Chef provides exceptional service and quality products. Assist the Chef with day-to-day operations and management of the kitchen.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Manage complete kitchen operations when chef is not present.
- Execute and supervise opening procedures for the kitchen and the deli cold case.
- Ensure kitchen is cleaned and closed by delegating closing tasks to team.
- Work with the chef to order product and supplies, costing, labor, and margin control.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage and demolition.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory of produce, freezer, and dry storage products.
- Develop and maintain relationships with purveyors.
- Assist chef with managing, mentoring, and training of staff. This includes investing time and attention into the professional growth of the staff.
- Create and maintain communication with the chef, deli, and store managers regarding store operations.
- Work with other department managers to utilize product with an expiring shelf life to help minimize waste safely.
- Responsible for ensuring that the storage and work areas are clean and sanitary.
- Train employees to safely operate and use equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Examine the refrigerator and other storage areas daily for food that is spoiled.
- 3-5 years experience in a restaurant or similar environment, with 1-2 years of supervisory experience during that time.
- Proven ability to work safely in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food and basic cooking techniques.
- Organizational skills.
- Communication skills.
- Keen eye for food presentation and attention to detail in preparation, presentation and quality.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Understand spoken Spanish a plus.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in working with team members.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Must be comfortable using word, excel, chef tech and the google suite or products.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card is required.
- Open schedule is required , evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your resume and three professional references (former supervisors) for us to contact. Thank you!
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.