Reporting to the General Managers and Director of Operations, the Store Manager creates and maintains systems to provide exceptional products and service combined with an outstanding shopping experience for our customers. Working closely with all of the department managers and staff, the store manager is a leader for the entire store.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide exceptional management to all employees to ensure that the store as a whole provides excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in person and over the phone. It is the store manager’s job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Manage complete store operations including management of cashier team, all department managers, hiring, inventory, deliveries.
- Enhance and preserve communication throughout all departments and markets as a whole.
- Assist the operations director with the development and implementation of Gus’s Community Market’s plans with regard to products, promotions, policies, procedures, vendors, and customers. Work to meet the store’s long-term objectives with regard to products, services, vendors, customers, and markets.
- Work with department managers to:
- Ensure appropriate purchasing practices.
- Ensure pricing strategies meet margin and greater storewide goals.
- Help with product selection, category management and product placement.
- Responsible for ensuring that retail areas are full, clean, attractively merchandised and efficiently operated.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in person and over the phone. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Be a management role model and assist managers in their supervisory responsibilities, including: hiring, coaching, development, performance evaluation, and coaching for department managers and department employees, as needed.
- Promote and sustain a positive work environment by setting the tone with which inconsistencies in service or quality are addressed.
- Exercise solution-based problem solving tactics.
- Responsible for emergency preparedness and safety throughout the store.
- Work closely with the relevant departments to ensure that proper sanitation practices are followed and that all health codes are followed at all times.
- Monitor and manage all vendor pricing and communications around discrepancies.
- Develop and maintain favorable relationships with staff, vendors, customers and other stakeholders.
- Assist the department managers to build a great, strong, and effective team who work to present a clean, consistent and welcoming store for employees and customers.
- At Gus’s Community Market only, take care of all bank deposits safely and accurately.
- Attend all store meetings, trainings, seminars, and workshops.
- 5-7 years experience in a grocery store or similar environment, with three years of supervisory experience including: hiring, training, evaluating, coaching and developing staff. Experience managing managers, desired.
- 1-2 years experience developing and implementing budgets and adhering to cost and margin requirements.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
- Able to develop trusting relationships, manage and motivate staff, with supervisory experience in hiring, training, and evaluating.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Good interpersonal communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with colleagues, vendors and customers.
- Must be able to communicate with customers who speak only English, as well as product/pricing information.
- Clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine listening skills.
- Present information and respond to questions from employees, managers, vendors, customers and other stakeholders.
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, with SMS experience a plus.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Open schedule is preferred, including, mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must. This position is 40 to 48 hours.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability. Do not submit a generic cover letter or resume, please apply to this job specifically. We look forward to hearing from you!