About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, a 401K retirement plan after one year of employment, and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Warehouse Manager and Warehouse Supervisor, the Warehouse Picker provides exceptional service and quality products for our staff, vendors, and customers. This job involves assisting with all daily warehouse operational duties. There are lifting requirements for this position.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly, and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure our customers and vendors leave satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Hand stack cases of product weighing up to 50 pounds repetitively from floor to overhead throughout the shift.
- Able to follow directions from the Warehouse Manager and Warehouse Supervisor regarding product arrangement and specifications, scheduling, receiving procedures, etc.
- Read and interpret orders and fulfill orders that are placed by the buyers for the stores, double-checking quantities, product descriptions, and matching UPC numbers.
- Follow receiving procedures accurately to inventory and receive precise and complete orders.
- Unload and appropriately handle pallets and packages according to company guidelines and product needs.
- Safely operate and use equipment including electric pallet jacks, hand pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Place products in a defined stacking pattern onto the pallet.
- Hand shrink wrap customer orders along with adding proper labeling and moving completed orders to the loading dock and/or staging area.
- Report all product discrepancies or quality issues to supervision including damaged products, wrong store numbers, equipment issues, etc.
- Follow all safety procedures and adhere to all company policies and procedures, including the safe operation of equipment, and help to maintain a safe, clean work environment including general housekeeping warehouse duties.
- Minimum 1-2 years of retail or warehouse experience (preferred)
- Ability to work while standing, pushing, pulling, bending, twisting, kneeling, and lifting for the entire duration of the shift.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship
- Able to read and understand the written word.
- Must maintain a professional appearance
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with co-workers and customers.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work in multi-temperature environments, hot or cool.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.