Assistant Store Manager
About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 30 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment, and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Store Manager, the Assistant Store Manager creates and maintains systems to provide exceptional products and service combined with an outstanding shopping experience for our customers. Working closely with all of the department managers and staff, the store manager is a leader for the entire store.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide exceptional management to all employees to ensure that the store as a whole provides excellent, friendly, and knowledgeable customer service both in-person and over the phone. It is the assistant store manager’s job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Assist in managing complete store operations including management of the cashier team, all department managers, hiring, inventory, deliveries.
- Enhance and preserve communication throughout all departments and markets as a whole.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through excellent leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Assist managers with maintenance for all departments.
- Assume the role of the department leader in the absence of the manager.
- Provides direction and guidance around all company systems, policies, and procedures for all department teams.
- Helps to create a positive team environment that harnesses and develops the staff’s strengths and abilities.
- Assist the operations director and store manager with the development and implementation of Gus’s Community Market’s plans with regard to products, promotions, policies, procedures, vendors, and customers. Work to meet the store’s long-term objectives with regard to products, services, vendors, customers, and markets.
- Work with department managers to:
- Ensure appropriate purchasing practices.
- Ensure pricing strategies meet margin and greater storewide goals.
- Help with product selection, category management, and product placement.
- Responsible for ensuring that retail areas are full, clean, attractively merchandised, and efficiently operated.
- Be a management role model and assist managers in their supervisory responsibilities, including hiring, coaching, development, performance evaluation, and coaching for department managers and department employees, as needed.
- Promote and sustain a positive work environment by setting the tone with which inconsistencies in service or quality are addressed.
- Exercise solution-based problem-solving tactics.
- Responsible for emergency preparedness and safety throughout the store.
- Work closely with the relevant departments to ensure that proper sanitation practices are followed and that all health codes are followed at all times.
- Monitor and manage all vendor pricing and communications around discrepancies.
- Develop and maintain favorable relationships with staff, vendors, customers and other stakeholders.
- Assist the department managers to build a great, strong, and effective team who work to present a clean, consistent and welcoming store for employees and customers.
- Assist in preparing all bank deposits along with all cash handling responsibilities with safety and accuracy.
- Attend all store meetings, training, seminars, and workshops.
- 4-5 years experience in a grocery store or similar environment, with three years of supervisory experience including hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and developing staff. Experience managing managers, desired.
- 1-2 years of experience developing and implementing budgets and adhering to cost and margin requirements.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
- Able to develop trusting relationships, manage and motivate staff, with supervisory experience in hiring, training, and evaluating.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Good interpersonal communication, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with colleagues, vendors, and customers.
- Must be able to communicate with customers who speak only English, as well as product/pricing information.
- Clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine listening skills.
- Present information and respond to questions from employees, managers, vendors, customers, and other stakeholders.
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, with SMS experience a plus.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift heavy objects greater than 50 pounds unassisted.
- Open schedule is preferred, including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays are a must. This position is 40 to 48 hours.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Please send us your most recent resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter with a description of yourself and your availability. Do not submit a generic cover letter or resume, please apply to this job specifically. We look forward to hearing from you!