The Position Reporting to the Deli Manager, the Deli Assistant Manager provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. Our Deli creates all the sandwiches and presents and serves all the prepared foods. The deli team works hard, stays on task, learns and has fun doing it.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through great leadership, efficient service, and a great work environment.
- Gives guests priority and attention at all times.
- Helps manage deli operations including, inventory, ordering, training, and employee onboarding.
- Work with the deli manager to order product and supplies, costing, labor, and margin control.
- Manage inventory to maximize profits while minimizing spoilage and demolition.
- Assists with the sanitation of the deli and proper food handling, rotation, labelling, etc.
- Ensures that the deli case and all food bars are stocked throughout the day to maximize sales and minimize spoilage.
- Ensure all catering orders are on time and the customer is satisfied and returns to us for all their catering needs.
- Helps to create an organized work environment where workflow is efficient, while maintaining the highest standards of food quality.
- Helps create a team environment that harnesses and develops the staff’s strengths and abilities.
- Provides guidance around all company systems, policies and procedures for the team.
- Helps to train employees on all aspects of deli operations including safe operation and use of equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- In the absence of the manager, prioritizes duties and delegates tasks.
- Assists with creation of weekly schedules adhering to all break and lunch regulations.
- Assists with the storage, stocking, rotation and maintenance of all product.
- Helps to order, receive, and manage inventory at a reasonable level for optimal deli operation.
- Minimum 3 years in the food service industry
- Minimum 1 years supervisory experience required.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Personable, outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with diverse guests.
- Passionate about deli work and exceptional product delivery.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency while maintaining great customer service.
- Committed to providing an enjoyable and delicious dining experience, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with guests and staff.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.