Reporting to the Deli Department Manager, the Deli Clerk provides exceptional service and quality products for our customers. Focus and attention to detail are key.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service both in-person and over the phone. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Prepares sandwiches, hot and cold deli food for sale to customers.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of daily product offerings including ingredients and preparation methods.
- Ensure cleanliness of deli case, storage, and work area. Keep a clean and sanitary work station at all times and all equipment clean and sanitized.
- Stock deli case properly making sure the products are presented well, the case is faced and filled at all times.
- Take instruction, direction, and follow procedures provided by our deli manager.
- Safely operate and use equipment such as knives, wrappers, scales, as well as other equipment.
- Examine the deli case daily for products that are spoiled and/or damaged. Maintain orderly rotation of stock.
- Ensure tag and pricing accuracy.
- Keep accurate spoilage, transfer and demolition logs.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while still maintaining great customer service and accuracy.
- Current, valid, Food Handler Card preferred.
- Previous kitchen, culinary, deli, restaurant, kitchen management, cooking or customer service experience required.
- Must be able to communicate with customers who speak only English.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a large team.
- Committed to providing quality goods, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- A sense of humor and the ability to find fulfillment in engaging with customers.
- Must be able to regularly and safely lift objects greater than 25 pounds unassisted.
- Able to stand all day while frequently bending and twisting, occasionally kneeling/squatting, and regular light to moderate lifting.
- Open schedule is preferred, evenings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.