About Gus’s Community Market
We believe that markets are a gathering place for the community, a space to both foster and nurture relationships that extend for generations. For over 40 years, our family has served San Francisco with the utmost commitment to offer quality goods, champion local purveyors, advocate for environmental stewardship, and create a workplace for our staff to grow and prosper. We are ever-evolving yet do not lose sight of our core values created by our father and grandfather, and remain mindful of the character of a neighborhood market. We strive to provide a diverse selection of goods satisfying every palate and price point. We take pride in personally knowing many of our vendors having worked with them for decades. We respect our employees and offer them sustainable livelihoods. We support our community by participating in fundraising efforts such as the Scrip school program. We cultivate, support, and strive for integrity in everything we do – from picking the most pristine peach from the early morning markets to handing a lollipop to a kid waiting for mom.
We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 30 days, 401K retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation begins to accrue after one year of employment.
Reporting to the Grocery Department Manager, the Grocery Buyer is responsible for grocery purchasing and assisting with grocery operations while providing exceptional service and products for our valued customers.
Gus’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual identity, sexual orientation, age, creed, genetic information, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or other basis protected by applicable federal or California state law.
- Provide excellent, friendly and knowledgeable customer service. It is our job to make sure the customer leaves satisfied, so great customer service is a MUST.
- Manage all grocery administrative duties including, purchasing, POS systems, and the ability to understand P&L’s.
- With the manager, create an organized work environment where workflow is efficient while maintaining the highest customer service.
- Provides exceptional guest experience during peak service times through efficient service and a great work environment.
- Assist with direction and guidance around all company systems, policies and procedures for their team.
- Keeps equipment clean and sanitary.
- Gives guests priority and attention at all times.
- Manage the storage, stocking, rotation, and maintenance of all grocery products.
- Orders, receives, and manages grocery inventory at a reasonable level for optimal store operation.
- Minimum 1 year purchasing experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Personable, outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with diverse guests.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency while maintaining great customer service.
- Committed to providing an enjoyable shopping experience, championing local purveyors, and advocating for environmental stewardship.
- Must be able to communicate with customers who speak only English.
- A sense of humor and ability to find fulfillment in engaging with guests and staff.
- Open schedule is required, early mornings, weekends and holidays are a must.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Physical Requirement / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour workday: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40
- degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and
- holidays as needed.
This job posting describes the general requirements of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.